One of my favorite childhood Christmas memories is of going to my grandparents' little country Mennonite Church in Tofield, Canada on Christmas Eve. The congregation was segregated with women on one side and men on the other. I would sit beside my grandma and just listen in awe as she would sing Silent Night in German - Stille nacht, heilige nacht - in perfect alto harmony. Ah, I can just about be transported back to that very special time as a child. Then we'd drive home with our little brown lunchbag full of peanuts in their shells, a mandarin orange and a candy cane, that we'd been given as we left the church. In the car we'd listen to the radio reporter tell of an unusual sighting in the cold, clear Christmas Eve sky overhead..... a sure sign that Santa was on his way. Such good memories of wonderful childhood Christmas traditions.

3 comments:
I remember that like it was yesterday. =) sigh!!
We were talking about this just the other day. What a beautiful tribute to your grandma and grandpa. What a nice memory! Now they can track Santa on NORAD.
that totally reminded me of christmas's with my Grandma and Grandpa (Nachtigal) I miss them terribly at times! I cherish the day we see them again! Thank you so much for these incredible reminder. It's great that we can share the memories of our Grandparents!
Post a Comment